Saturday, May 30, 2015

Pregnant Moose- An Ode to My Son

A little over a year ago, I found out I was pregnant with my sweet baby boy.  I was excited and nervous.  I was also awkward and nauseated.  At one point, while trying to climb into the bathtub, I told my husband I felt like a pregnant moose.  Since it was late at night and we were already sleep-deprived from our very active toddler, we laughed hysterically.  This led to a conversation about all the things "pregnant moose" couldn't fit into.  Eventually, this got translated into paintings.

Here is the original, poor pregnant moose trying to fit in her bathtub.  Her muscles are sore and she just wants to relax.  Too bad her belly is so big.


Next, poor pregnant moose is realizing her clothes no longer fit.  I wonder if there is a moose maternity store?


Now for all of you out there saying, "Hey!  Wait a minute! Female moose don't have antlers!"  You're absolutely right.  But I couldn't picture pregnant moose without them.  So I looked it up and found that hormonal changes can occasionally cause female moose to grow antlers.  I decided that if hormones can cause pregnant humans to drool excessively, my moose could grow antlers. 

I'm hoping to turn these into a series of greeting cards.  But please, only for your friends with a good sense of humor; not everyone wants to be reminded how big they are.

3 comments:

  1. I love these paintings! Not only could they turn into greeting cards, but I imagine a funny children's book, illustrated with them, telling children about the changes in and around Mommy while he/she was growing inside the womb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hadn't thought of turning these into a book. Although I do have an idea for a different book, also featuring a moose. So many ideas, so little time :)

      Delete
  2. Ha.Ha. Glad my pregnant moose days are over!

    ReplyDelete