Monday, September 28, 2015

Sometimes You Have a Bad Show

A couple of weeks ago, I had a booth at a local street market.  It was my first show after having a baby and I was excited to get back into the swing of things.  My show did not go well.



This was the only picture I got of that day and you will have to excuse the poor lighting.  You see, the day started out with a little bit of wind and a chance of rain.  By the time I left at 3pm (3 hours early), there had already been moments of pouring rain and almost constant wind gusts.  I pretty much spent the whole day holding onto my canopy to try to keep it from blowing away.

Don't worry, I wasn't alone.  All the other vendors did the same.  My booth-neighbors eventually braved the chance of rain and took down their canopy after it launched six-feet into the air.

Because of the weather, there were almost no visitors that day.  In the course of six hours, I sold $3 worth of merchandise.  Needless to say, I did not make back my $35 booth fee. 

The final straw occurred when there was a small house fire across the street from my booth.  Don't worry, it was immediately under control and no one was hurt; I'm pretty sure it was a kitchen fire and there was no property damage.  But the fire department was called in and all the vendors got moved to a small, disorganized cluster on one side of the street.

I'm not sharing this in a "poor-me" kind of way.  It's fine.  Really I'm just sharing this so other artists know that it is okay if you have a bad show.  I've had great shows where I get lots of good feedback and am selling regularly throughout the day.  Other times, I have a slow show where I barely sell more than my show fee.  And then there are days where I have the worst show I've ever had where my metal canopy frame bends from the force of the wind and one of the few comments I get is "why are these so expensive?"

But the good news is that sometimes a bad show means you get to attend a wedding with your husband that you thought you were going to have to miss because your art show was ending later than you originally thought.

14 comments:

  1. We can always find the silver lining, can't we? It's all in the attitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true! When I realized that leaving early meant I could go to the wedding, I was pretty happy. My husband was going to go alone so we already had a babysitter. I rushed home, somehow got ready in 15 minutes, and got a fun date night :)

      Delete
  2. We can always find the silver lining, can't we? It's all in the attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weather is always a variable here in the PNW but not fires! Glad you were able to salvage your day with being able to go to the wedding with your husband! Hope your next show is inside and much better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I never do outdoor shows in the winter/spring, but I thought I was safe in August!

      Delete
  4. How unfortunate. Luckily the day ended on a positive note! Our weather here is pretty erratic, that's why as a buyer (and possibly future vendor) I prefer indoor shows :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it's nice out, I love an outdoor show. But I appreciate the predictability of a nice indoor show.

      Delete
  5. I love your positive outlook here :)
    This is why I only do indoor shows. The weather can be so unpredictable!
    Glad you got to end the night on a good note :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was definitely the worst outdoor show I have ever done; normally I have a great time. But I am looking at doing some INDOOR shows for the holidays. :)

      Delete
  6. Bad weather (and therefore poor attendance) is the worst, but I'm glad you were able to find a silver lining! Bonus wedding! I once packed it up early at a rainy show, too, as did most of the other vendors. There was just no point! I had my husband and a friend helping me that day, so we just went out to lunch and shopped at the indoor antique mall instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't feel so bad because many of the vendors around me were packing up as well. My husband was home with our napping children but some nice people around me helped me pack up my canopy :)

      Delete
  7. Stay positive! Better day are coming!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. silver lining ... hope the wedding was lovely (and dry!)

    ReplyDelete