Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Art with a Toddler

Hey Friends-

Lately I have been having some fun creating some pieces with my little girl.  She is currently 18-months-old and is definitely just learning how to color.  Crayons were hard for her because she couldn't press down on the paper hard enough to make a mark.  So after a little research, I found these watercolor crayons.  They were much easier because if the paper was wet, the color would instantly appear on the paper even with a light touch.  So we started playing.



It is definitely a challenge to my patience.  Half of our "coloring" time is her picking up all the crayons in one hand and moving them around the table.  But it's fun and I love introducing her to a bit of creative fun, even at this early age.



After seeing a few other artists who have created things with their kids art (see here and here), I decided to try my hand at it as well.  I took our finished watercolors and used ink to fill in an image.  I would typically sit there for 5-10 minutes, just staring, trying to figure out what the colors looked like.  It was fun and challenging.  Here's a few that I made:



I will be showing off these pieces at Avanti Art and Design starting this Friday.  A new show is opening up called "Generations in Art" and it's designed to feature all ages of artists.  If you are in the Seattle area, I'd love for you to stop by!

2 comments:

  1. Omg I love the bird one! What a wonderful way to integrate your adorable little lady into the creative process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth! It's been a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to more projects together in the future.

      Delete